4.4.08

I never intended to make this a blog about my personal opinions or to talk about my life and beliefs in any way. It´s always been a place to post about my work and the work of others.
But, this is something I just couldn't leave unmentioned, because it concerns the country where I was born and because it touches me profoundly.

The Miss Landmine photo exhibition is openning in Luanda (Angola) today, the 4th April, the UN International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action.

"Every now and then an idea comes along that serves a genuinely valuable human rights purpose and subverts stereotypes at the same time. Such is the case with the Miss Landmine competition, a controversial contest for women who have been disabled or disfigured by landmines. The purpose: to empower women and challenge concepts of physical perfection while raising global and local awareness of landmines. The stereotype: that women must be physically "perfect" to be beautiful." from World Changing - Change Your Thinking

Click here for the CNN's article on the Miss Landmine Angola 2008 pageant.

Sem comentários: